Technology

Death toll rises to more than 100 after fire rips through Hong Kong tower blocks

2025-11-28 07:30
806 views
Death toll rises to more than 100 after fire rips through Hong Kong tower blocks

Around 200 people are still unaccounted for.

Death toll rises to more than 100 after fire rips through Hong Kong tower blocks Isobel Frodsham Isobel Frodsham Published November 28, 2025 7:30am Updated November 28, 2025 9:15am Share this article via whatsappShare this article via xCopy the link to this article.Link is copiedShare this article via facebook Comment now Comments epa12554084 A view of the rubble in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire in Hong Kong, China, 28 November 2025. The fire, which started on 26 November, has killed at least 94 people, and left hundreds missing. EPA/MAY JAMES A view of the rubble in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire in Hong Kong, China, after it broke out earlier this week (Picture: EPA)

More than 100 people have been killed after a fire spread through a number of tower blocks in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong Security Chief Chris Tang said that 128 people had been killed and 79 people had been injured after the blaze broke out and tore through bamboo scaffolding on high-rise buildings in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district.

He added that around 200 people were still unaccounted for, but the recovery mission had wrapped up after emergency service workers spent days battling flames and heavy smoke to try and rescue people.

The Wang Fuk Court housing estate, where more than 4,600 people were living, had been wrapped in bamboo scaffolding and green mesh for renovation work when the fire started and quickly spread on Wednesday.

Tang added that 12 firemen have been injured in the rescue efforts, and one is in a serious condition.

During the press conference, he added that the fire alarms in the affected buildings were not working properly.

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video

Up Next

Previous Page Next Page Thick smoke and flames rise as a major fire engulfs several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district on November 26, 2025. Four people died after multiple blocks in a Hong Kong residential estate went up in flames on November 26, with local media earlier reporting that some residents were trapped. (Photo by Yan ZHAO / AFP via Getty Images) Thick smoke and flames rise as a major fire engulfs apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Tai Po, Hong Kong (Picture: AFP) TOPSHOT - Thick smoke and flames rise as a major fire engulfs several apartment blocks at the Wang Fuk Court residential estate in Hong Kong's Tai Po district on November 26, 2025. At least four people were killed when a fire engulfed several high-rise blocks in a Hong Kong residential estate on November 26, the government said, with media reporting that some residents were trapped inside. (Photo by Yan ZHAO / AFP via Getty Images) Some 4,000 people live in the Wang Fuk Court housing estate, which are reported to have 1,984 flats (Picture: AFP)

Police said they had arrested three construction company officials on suspicion of manslaughter for using unsafe materials, including flammable foam boards blocking windows.

The fire is Hong Kong’s deadliest since 1948, when 176 people died in a warehouse blaze. It’s led to comparisons to Grenfell Tower fire in west London, which killed 72 people in 2017.

While firefighters contained the blaze on Friday and doused the still-smouldering complex, families are searching through photographs taken by emergency service workers for their loved ones.

One resident, who did not want to be identified, said her friend’s wife was among those unaccounted for.

‘Rationally speaking, it means there’s no hope,’ she said. ‘But the bodies still have to be found, right?

‘It’s just too sorrowful. When it involves people you know, it’s even more painful.’

On the second night after the blaze, dozens of evacuees set up mattresses in a nearby mall, many saying official evacuation centres should be saved for those in greater need.

People – from elderly residents to schoolchildren – wrapped themselves in duvets and huddled in tents outside a McDonald’s restaurant and convenience shops as volunteers handed out snacks and toiletries.

According to the Reuters news agency, two directors and an engineering consultant of Prestige Construction, a firm identified by the government as doing maintenance on the estate for more than a year, have been arrested.

Smoke rises while flames burn bamboo scaffolding on a building at Wang Fuk Court housing estate, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 26, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu Bamboo scaffolding crumbles away from a building at Wang Fuk Court housing estate (Picture: Reuters) Wong 71, reacts after claiming his wife is trapped inside Wang Fuk Court during a major fire, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 26, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY Wong, 71, reacts fearing his wife is trapped inside one of the burning blocks in Tai Po (Picture: Reuters) A man reacts, as smoke rises while flames engulf bamboo scaffolding across multiple buildings at Wang Fuk Court housing estate, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 26, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu He looked terrified and called out to her as the buildings went up in smoke (Picture: Reuters)

A raid was carried out on their officers a few days ago, where police seized bidding documents, a list of employees, 14 computers and three mobile phones in a raid of the company’s office.

‘We have reason to believe that the company’s responsible parties were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,’ Police Superintendent Eileen Chung said on Thursday.

Prestige has not commented.

The city’s development bureau has discussed gradually replacing bamboo scaffolding with metal scaffolding as a safety measure.

Hong Kong’s leader, John Lee, said the government would set up a HK$300 million (£33 million) fund to help residents, while some of China’s biggest listed companies have also announced donations.

What is the cause of the fire?

The cause of the fire is still being determined by officials. What is clear, however, is that the fire spread rapidly through the exterior scaffolding system, said Jiang Liming, a fire-safety expert at Hong Kong Polytechnic University.

Last year, residents were told they faced ‘relatively low risks’ after complaining repeatedly about fire hazards posed by ongoing renovation works, the city’s Labour Department told Reuters.

People living at Wang Fuk Court in northern Hong Kong had raised concerns over maintenance activity in September 2024, including about the potential flammability of the protective green mesh contractors had used to cover the bamboo scaffolding raised around the buildings, a department spokesperson said in an email.

Police cordons are placed at the scene of the Wang Fuk Court housing estate fire as mourners pay tribute to the victims, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China, November 28, 2025. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu Police cordons are placed at the scene of the Wang Fuk Court housing estate fire as mourners pay tribute to the victims (Picture: REUTERS) FILE PHOTO: Buildings stand in the background as seen between the bamboo scaffolding on charred buildings of Wang Fuk Court housing complex following a deadly fire, in Tai Po, Hong Kong, China November 28, 2025. REUTERS/Maxim Shemetov/File Photo Buildings stand in the background as seen between the bamboo scaffolding on charred buildings of Wang Fuk Court housing complex (Picture: REUTERS) epa12554081 Firefighters inspect the affected area in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire in Hong Kong, China, 28 November 2025. The fire, which started on 26 November, has killed at least 94 people, and left hundreds missing. EPA/MAY JAMES Firefighters inspect the affected area in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire in Hong Kong (Picture: EPA) epa12554086 A view of the rubble in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire in Hong Kong, China, 28 November 2025. The fire, which started on 26 November, has killed at least 94 people, and left hundreds missing. EPA/MAY JAMES A view of the rubble in the aftermath of the Tai Po apartment fire (Credits: EPA)

The department subsequently reviewed safety certification for the mesh, which was used as a net for falling debris, and told residents the material’s ‘flame-retardant performance’ met standards, said the agency.

More Trending

Hong Kong police said on Thursday, however, that the exterior walls of the complex’s buildings ‘had protective nets, membranes, waterproof tarpaulins, and plastic sheets suspected of not meeting fire safety standards.’

The Labour Department told Reuters that when it told residents they faced low fire risks it did not mean potential hazards were ignored. It also said it had reminded the contractor to implement fire-prevention measures.

The agency added that it had carried out 16 safety inspections at Wang Fuk Court between July 2024 and November 2025. The department issued six improvement notices to the contractor over its work at the complex and initiated three prosecutions, it said, without providing further specifics.

Got a story? Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]. Or you can submit your videos and pictures here.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Follow Metro.co.uk on Twitter and Facebook for the latest news updates. You can now also get Metro.co.uk articles sent straight to your device. Sign up for our daily push alerts here.

Comment now Comments Add Metro as a Preferred Source on Google Add as preferred source News Updates

Stay on top of the headlines with daily email updates.

Email I agree to receive newsletters from Metro I agree to receive newsletters from Metro Sign UpSign Up

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply. Your information will be used in line with our Privacy Policy